You will be amazed at how good this healthy shake tastes. This is a dessert that actually has health benefits, which will be discussed below the recipe.
Chocolate Banana Shake Recipe:
• 1.5 cups water
• 1.5 frozen banana (add more if consistency isn’t thick enough)
• 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
• 2 tbsp. flax or chia seeds
• 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
• 1-2 spoonfuls almond butter
• 1 handful spinach leaves
I know you’re thinking, “Spinach, in a chocolate smoothie?” However, you cannot taste the spinach at all. It simply adds more fiber, magnesium and other nutrients to the shake, so why not?
– Flavonoids in raw cacao have shown to be potent antioxidants that promote healthy skin, improve memory, enhance mood and protect against certain forms of cancer.
Ceylon Cinnamon benefits:
– This spice contains phytochemicals with various benefits, with improved blood sugar being the most popular. Cinnamon improves insulin signaling which keeps blood sugar from elevating.
Flax & Chia Seed Benefits:
– These seeds are full of fiber which slow gastric emptying. This means the food doesn’t enter your blood stream as fast to raise blood sugar. Fiber also reduces hunger and feeds the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which then produce beneficial fatty acids (butyrate). Studies on flax seeds have been known to improve hormone imbalances and be beneficial for breast cancer. Chia seeds contain the antioxidant alpha lipoic acid, which is needed for our mitochondria for energy production. It’s shown to improve diabetic neuropathy and also crosses the blood brain barrier to reduce oxidative stress in the brain.
Almond Butter Benefits:
– Almonds are a great source of vitamin E, an antioxidant in the body with many functions, including skin health. They’re also rich in healthy unsaturated fats and a good source of protein.